STATE RADIO   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» STATE RADIO » original FTS posts » State Inspector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: State Inspector
Zander FT

Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Zander FT   Email Zander FT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cool chads recording of state inspector is up on the site now, you can click on it and listen. hmmmm I think it's really good, but kinda faster than the dispatch live recording that I'm used to... the poor drummer's arm must hurt. what do you guys all think of it?
Posts: 14 | From: Westport, Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mike D

Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Mike D   Email Mike D   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its great punk music!
Posts: 98 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
brendan

Member # 10

- posted      Profile for brendan   Email brendan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cant believe how good this song is. It definetly has some kind of Rage feeling but that Chad edge which we all expect.

"... the poor drummer's arm must hurt."
i dont think it did hurt, the adrenaline must have numbed his body.

Descriptive but to the point...a story with a clear purpose.

"Maybe today ill jump the barb wire fence" For those of you who have heard gunship politico, if that track is equally as good i just might wet myself in excitement.

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: brendan ]

Posts: 9 | From: Woodbury, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
meems

Member # 5

- posted      Profile for meems   Email meems   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes a punk sound is definitely what comes to mind.....

SO F'ING GOOD. oh how i love this song

-marie

Posts: 45 | From: philly | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GQJSP

Member # 36

- posted      Profile for GQJSP   Email GQJSP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Punk *SOUND*! State Inspecter is similar but definatly NOT punk (thats a good thing). as i guitar player i have absolutely no respect for punk, anyone can play fast and power chords, it takes skill to write a good song and S.I. is definatly fast and distorted but the lyrics and basslines are nothing like punk (punk bassists usually play eigth notes on the root of the chord not moving basslines) and the song it self has, get this, HARMONY! anyother punk no-no. so yea i hear rage, and punk style, but please, dont call it punk, chad is way closer to funk than punk. sorry for my anti punk rant i just dislike it very much!

on another state inspector note...

i feel other than the speed element its VERY similar to dispatch. unlike pete songs that are both dispatch and solo (carry you, Julie, coal miners dream) the live S.I w/ dispatch and studio FOTS SI sound amazingly alike. chad even goes as far as to overdub a harmony line much like brads. the drumming is different from brads but thats a matter of different drummers and the bassline is exactly like the live version.

anyway, i still fucking love the song. for those who play guitar its fun to play and i highly advise trying a solo acoustic slow version. try it at like half the speed with some open chords insted of barre, i dunno about you but i love it this way.

peace love and sunshine to all

adam

Posts: 133 | From: Needham, MA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam Tiller

Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Adam Tiller   Email Adam Tiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GQJSP:
i feel other than the speed element its VERY similar to dispatch. unlike pete songs that are both dispatch and solo (carry you, Julie, coal miners dream) the live S.I w/ dispatch and studio FOTS SI sound amazingly alike. chad even goes as far as to overdub a harmony line much like brads. the drumming is different from brads but thats a matter of different drummers and the bassline is exactly like the live version.

Definitely true...I actually like Brad's more melodic drum sound better, but I like the speed, so if you have to give up one to get the other it's all good. I'm looking forward to hearing two different voices sing the harmonies again instead of just Chad-on-Chad.

A

Posts: 45 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MMDarbyLT

Member # 23

- posted      Profile for MMDarbyLT   Email MMDarbyLT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as you may hate it State Inspector definitely has a punk feel to it. Now before you go off about how punk sucks, let me say that I'm not talking about the new pop-punk that most people are used to...old school punk was great music. I have to think that the punk feel is what Chad was going for...I mean if you look back at what the whole punk movement was about it had a lot to do with political issues, and most Chad songs we know try to touch on that as well. So if you break SI down to a base level, you get a up tempo, chord progression, with lyrics that carry a message and that is equivalent to what old schol punk was...now add in that the chords in SI are more complex and the vocals are harmonized and you have a hit song by FTS!

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: MMDarbyLT ]

Posts: 35 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mike D

Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Mike D   Email Mike D   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
vocally and lyrically it is far superior to the comparison i am about to make, but this song fits nicely in that genre of new punk such as the Vines, the Strokes, the White Stripes. its got that same simple chord progression over and over. but as Darby pointed out, the message fits more with the punk of old like the Ramones and the Sex Pistols.
Posts: 98 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
PatrickR

Member # 39

- posted      Profile for PatrickR   Email PatrickR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread speaks less from the mind and more from the sphinxter...

I doubt anyone will pick up on that but its a little Beavis and Butthead reminisant...

-Pat

Posts: 11 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | STATE RADIO | Privacy Statement