STATE RADIO Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» STATE RADIO » NON State Radio RELATED ITEMS » America, Location 12

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: America, Location 12
bcosta

Member # 24910

- posted      Profile for bcosta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else looking forward to this release? I think it could be the best Dispatch material to date.
Posts: 587 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
BankersClub

Member # 35635

- posted      Profile for BankersClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super pumped. I've enjoyed all of the songs out so far. Painted Yellow Lines is my favorite though by far.

New Dispatch (with Chad doing all the songwriting) sort of feels like SR/Solo/Dispatch melded together. I dig it.

I'm going to see the acoustic show in Philly on Friday and then again in Philly July 9th. Very excited!!

Posts: 20 | From: Carlisle, PA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Last One Shot

Member # 1626

- posted      Profile for Last One Shot   Email Last One Shot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BankersClub:

I'm going to see the acoustic show in Philly on Friday and then again in Philly July 9th. Very excited!!

Are they doing something other than the Free at Noon on Friday? Because that will most likely be full band/plugged in. At least it was last time they did the Free at Noon. I'll be there as well.
Posts: 4652 | From: Willow Grove/North Philly, PA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
BankersClub

Member # 35635

- posted      Profile for BankersClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no kidding? For some reason I thought it was acoustic. I'm glad if it isn't.
Ryan Q.

Member # 99546

- posted      Profile for Ryan Q.   Email Ryan Q.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my America Location 12 in the mail last night.

The balance of the album of all the unreleased tracks is incredible.

This is the best Dispatch album that's been put out in a long long time IMO.

Listen to it loud on some good speakers or quality headphones and you will not be disappointed!

Posts: 8 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Last One Shot

Member # 1626

- posted      Profile for Last One Shot   Email Last One Shot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh no kidding? For some reason I thought it was acoustic. I'm glad if it isn't.

Yea man! Free at Noon's are always a blast, I've seen quite a few over the years. Last time they did one they did a meet and greet in the lobby too, which was pretty awesome. Not sure if they will this time, but keep your hopes up!
Posts: 4652 | From: Willow Grove/North Philly, PA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
BankersClub

Member # 35635

Last One Shot-- you here? What shirt you wearing? I'm rocking a black t from the '14 winter living room tour.
MOWJO8185

Member # 355

- posted      Profile for MOWJO8185     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys... this album. It's so good. Dispatch has never sounded this good in studio - and the closest any of the guys have come to it is Horse Comanche.

Chad is at the peak of his songwriting powers right now, IMO, and he has also picked up on some nifty tricks in the studio. It really never ceases to amaze me that no matter how much my own musical tastes change, Chad always seems to be making music that meets me where I'm at.

Rice Water > Windy Like is gorgeous.

The only criticism I would have is the sequencing at the end of the album. Ghost Town and Atticus Cobain are both great songs, but coming after that Rice Water > Windy Like, they don't really feel like powerful album-closing songs. It sort of feels like the album just randomly ends. I would have liked to see Atticus Cobain and Ghost Town come right after Begin Again, and then Rice Water and Windy Like close out the album. But as a collection of songs... amazing.

Posts: 202 | From: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
BankersClub

Member # 35635

This album is SOLID. So good... love that it's Chad dominated. Really feels more like a blend of Dispatch/SR/Solo. Wonder if that's the direction going forward for Chad given that Embree and JR are touring with him. JR was also touring with Chad's solo stuff.
MOWJO8185

Member # 355

- posted      Profile for MOWJO8185     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Making the Album video that was posted the other day basically insinuated that Chad went to Pete and Brad and was basically like, I have these songs, I really want to record them with you, but I'd like to be captain of the ship for this journey. Which Pete and Brad agreed to.

Which, Brad's output has always been low and Pete's has been dwindling in the last several years with his voice and, probably in hindsight, everything else he has been dealing with, so it makes sense. I do wonder if Chad would return the favor if one of the other guys basically said the same thing - hard to imagine him essentially being Dispatch's bassist for an album. I think it's clearly his band now and Pete and Brad seem pretty ok with that.

Posts: 202 | From: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
BankersClub

Member # 35635

Rice Water live is so sick. Great set.
roaring sequoia

Member # 17460

- posted      Profile for roaring sequoia   Email roaring sequoia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is perhaps Dispatch's best album.

That's a hard claim to commit to, since their old catalog had a chance to age so well -- and obviously featured anthems like Elias and The General that we probably don't have here.

But this leans hard into Americana, some of Chad's more recent Beatles infused progressions, has some classic and art rock aspirations, and overall has a cohesiveness that's just lush and gorgeous. Listening to the songs on their own as they came out, I didn't appreciate how well they'd all fit together, and how well the production serves them, but now I hear it all together, and, wow.

I'm really enjoying the rhythm on this, particularly -- the syncopation of kit and claps and guitar is sometimes pretty wicked complicated, but always tight. I'm also enjoying where Brad is clearly singing his own lines, which have always complemented Chad's melodic ideas.

Favorite track might be Atticus Cobain, although even a song like WindyLike, which didn't strike me much on first listen, now sounds like, fuck, even this deeper cut has the qualities of a classic spatch anthem.

Least favorite track might be Rice Water -- just not feeling what the bridge about cups of tea is saying, and the list-of-things-we-can-live-without theme feels a little trite. But even that is packaged in a really musically interesting piece, what sounds to me strongly like the late beatles influence, something he's only been picking up since Horse Comanche.

In all, I'm pretty excited if this is Dispatch's new direction. This would be a great start to a second half career revival, to be honest. I hope Brad and Pete can pick up on some of these vibes and bring something cohesive to the table -- something in this stylistic vein but with their musical voices more prominent.

Posts: 293 | From: Buffalo | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Last One Shot

Member # 1626

quote:
Last One Shot-- you here? What shirt you wearing? I'm rocking a black t from the '14 winter living room tour.

Damn man! Just saw this! I was! Hope you had as much fun as I did, would've loved to meet you!

From the Free at Noon on friday a few observations:

They have a great Chemistry, even with no Pete, Embree is a perfect guy to have in the band, iIthink.

I thought Curse + Crush was pretty emotionally strong song, then I seeing Chad get emotional afterwards and Brad give him a pat on the back afterwards was incredible. For personal stuff, that song hits me hard, I could feel Chad's pain, I started to tear up a bit. It was incredible.

Overall I love this album. It definitely steers towards the feel of Chad's solo stuff, and to me it feels pretty obvious this is Chad's album. It reminds me a lot of with how Farmhouse was Trey Anastasio's album even though it's Phish.

One more thing: Skin the Rabbit and Atticus Cobain should be State Radio songs. In my biased opinion...

[ June 05, 2017, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Last One Shot ]

Dylan C

Member # 22098

- posted      Profile for Dylan C   Email Dylan C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so impressed with the new album. So many jams.

I'm out on the west coast these days and saw that the guys posted about shows in LA and Venice coming up? Anyone know about details on these?

Posts: 33 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rutagher

Member # 772

- posted      Profile for Rutagher   Email Rutagher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This album is superb. I was a little worried after Circles Around the Sun. That album disappointed me, but America totally picked up the ball and ran it in for a TD.

I'm fascinated by the idea that the rest of the band ceded control of this album solely to Chad. Based on the Last Dispatch documentary, I would have guessed that conversation wouldn't have gone over well. Maybe they've grown up a bit since. Whatever the reason, it worked well. Chad has always been the strongest songwriter IMO. Pete's old Dispatch songs were always great, but not so much lately.

Posts: 291 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ryan.m.cross@wmich.edu

Member # 10811

- posted      Profile for ryan.m.cross@wmich.edu   Email ryan.m.cross@wmich.edu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new songs sound so great. I was fortunate enough to be at the Ogden and Red Rocks and both shows were spectacular. JR and Embree are such a welcome addition. I must say, with these two in the band, Chad doing most of the writing, and no Pete at the moment, this really feels like a different band. I absolutely love it, and I suspect most of us here are big Chad fans but it is a very different sound than say Silent Steeples era Dispatch. It's more like a Chad-centric new band with Brad too, and it sounds effing incredible.

My highlights from the first 2 shows:

- Last night they covered TIME by Pink Floyd in its entirety, mashed up with Outloud it had an incredible little reggae feel. It blew my mind, and Brad slayed the solo.

- On the acoustic stuff, they all set up in front and played some amazing percussion and had stunning harmonies. JR and Embree compliment Chad/Brad so well. Their harmonies are beautiful.

- The new songs truly are incredible. They sound wonderful live, and I enjoyed every single one of them. Particularly Curse/Crush, Painted Yellow and Rice Water.

- CHAD IS STILL ROCKING THE F*CK OUT. He was getting so rowdy and jumping all over the place, just like we like him to do. Felt like the ol' SR days for many of the electric songs. Chad is the man, that is all.

Posts: 120 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | STATE RADIO | Privacy Statement